Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My notes on the Babywise Sleep Routine

I struggled so much with Owen as a newborn and getting him to sleep in his own bed and still do to this day (although it is much, much better). I also was a complete novice at the daily care an infant needs. I had heard alot about Babywise before Owen and now and decided to read the book. I really like how it has given me knowledge and a confidence to proactively parent and create a great routine for this new baby. Below I have notes for myself and anyone else interested. This post is just a summary. Next I will post key points of the actual routine and how to achieve feeding/play/sleep.

Babywise's Parent-Directed Feeding is a flexible routine. A center point between hyperscheduling on one extreme and demand feeding on the other end. Babywise's parent-directed feeding brings the crucial element of parental assesment-an aquired confidence to think, evaluate and respond to cries, to real needs and not just react each moment with feeding.

HUNGER CUE + CLOCK + ASSESMENT = FEEDING TIME

Benefits:
1- stable night time sleep patterns lead to a baby's contentment, healthy growth and optimal day alertness and learning
2- a well-rested mom is able to proactively parent and feel confident in determining baby's needs
3-full regular daytime feedings promote breastfeeding success and healthy weight gain for the infant

The key to sucess lies in the order of events:
FEED/WAKE/SLEEP ROUTINE vs. the typical feed/sleep/wake

2 comments:

Kelsey Peterson said...

I actually read that whole thing and I like it. Is it weird if it sounded too good to be true? I hope it works for you so I can be convinced even more;) my favorite part is that it still emphasizes parental intutition. Ultimately you do what you think is best. I guess part of it gets me because jaeger somewhat had a prop, I rocked him to sleep and he's still a great sleeper. So I musta got lucky on that one.

Unknown said...

I love that you took notes! We read the book before Emily was born and I have reread it every time we have a new baby. But I'm always flipping through pages to find certain parts when I am unsure. Sounds like you understand it pretty well. Everyone I know that has actually tried it and understood it correctly has had success and loved it. People that hate it don't really understand that it is a medium between hyper-scheduling and demand feeding. There is a great blog, too (Chronicles of a Babywise Mom). She is LDS and has used babywise on all 4 of her kids. Good luck!